Picking a transfer college or university is a big decision. You want to make sure you are picking the college that is right for you. Starting to explore and research transfer options early is a good way to ensure that you make a smooth transition to your 4-year college.
This timeline covers the basics of transferring and gives you an idea of what you should be doing and when. Remember transfer planning is not a one-time event. You should be talking with your academic advisor or visiting with 学术 & 职业建议 Coordinator to talk about transferring every semester to make sure you are on track.
- ATTEND NWC校园内的转学活动 such as webinars, college visits, and transfer fairs.
- MEET 你的顾问 讨论你们的转学计划.
- 研究潜在的转移机构 potential transfer institutions by looking at college websites, talking with admissions representatives (in person, 在电话里, 或通过电子邮件), 参观校园, 如果可以的话. Look for schools with streamlined transfer and articulation agreements with NWC.
- 列出三到四所大学 that match your goals, interests, and academic record.
- TRACK 最后期限 for applying, financial aid, and scholarships.
- 完成大学申请， FASFA(早在10月1日st), and make sure you turn in any materials (transcripts, 免疫接种记录, 建议, scholarships) before the college or universities’ deadline.
- 参观大学 and universities that you plan to apply to if you haven’t already.
- 比较课程和学分 that will transfer, and your financial aid packages for each college.
- DOUBLE CHECK IMPORTANT DATE AND 最后期限 for deposits, registration, and other college requirements.
- 参加定向 and other events specifically for transfer students at your new college or university.
- 设定或反映 关于你的目标 for your future career, education, and transfer.
- ENSURE 你马上就要毕业了 按时与指导老师见面. Make sure you are taking the right classes and completing at least 15 credits each semester.
- VISIT WITH THE ACADEMIC AND CAREER ADVISING COORDINATOR in the Advising Center in ORB 101 to make sure that you take the right courses to meet degree requirements at your transfer college or university.
- 职业评估 能帮你澄清你的兴趣吗, values, 和技能, and help you select a career and major that are right for you.
- CONNECT EARLY AND OFTEN WITH YOUR TRANSFER COLLEGE. You won’t learn everything in one visit or phone conversation, 有时候事情会随着时间的推移而改变. If you are interested in UW, sign up for 转移之前 early.
- 在NWC完成副学士学位. You’re almost always better off transferring after you completed your associate's of art or science.
- 寻求建议 as you make choices about your future career, major, and transferring. An advisor shouldn’t make the decision for you, but they can help you think through the options and weigh the positives and negatives.
- 与教师建立关系 early by talking after class and visiting during office hours. You are going to want strong 建议 when you apply to colleges, and you need to have built positive relationships with faculty to get them.
申请大学可能会让人望而生畏. Giving yourself plenty of time to complete the application, 写任何要求的文章, 得到的建议, and turn in any supplemental materials like 免疫接种记录 etc.
Below is a detailed list of steps to take when applying to colleges and universities. If you want any help applying to a college you can drop by ORB 101 and we can help you complete the application. If you are having any problems completing an application or have application specific questions, it is best to contact the admissions office of the college you are completing the application for.
- 了解截止日期 申请大学. Make sure you give yourself enough time to complete the application and turn it in on time.
- 完成申请. You may also be required to pay an application fee. If you are planning on transferring to UW sign up for 转移之前 免除40元的申请费.
- 寄送正式成绩单 to the college or university you plan to transfer to. Transcripts can be ordered online through the 全国学生结算所. 成绩单售价5美元，收费2美元.50手续费. If you have any questions you can contact 注册及记录. If you attended other colleges or universities, you will need to send transcripts from them also.
- If you send a transcript before your final grades are posted, you will need to send another one after grades have been posted.
- 完成 FASFA to get Pell grants, loans, work-study jobs, and some scholarships.
- 提交补充材料 such as essays, references, ACT/SAT scores, and high school transcripts, etc.
- 检查主要的具体要求. Some majors have an additional application process or extra application requirements, so make sure you complete any major requirements.
- 和招生部门谈谈 在你申请的大学.Make sure that you turned in all the materials that are needed for your application.
Getting accepted to a college or university is not the end of the process. Often transfer colleges have other steps that they want you complete after being accepted. 一些例子包括:
Often colleges will email or mail you a list of next steps so make sure you follow through on them. If at any time you have questions about what your next steps are, call or email the admissions office of the college you are transferring to.